Royal Nine Patch




You may remember my post from February that was titled scrappy nine patch. I started sewing mini charms together, not quite sure where it was going to take me. I am now finished and thought I would show you the results.
I call this the royal nine patch, not as a tribute to Prince William but to my new love of the color royal. This really isn't a new love or a new color for me. My school colors were royal and I am still the proud owner of my R.L. Turner letter men's jacket in the ever so stunning royal color.  What is old is new again, so my love of royal is back.
When I noticed some of the moda designers were adding a bright navy/royal blue to their lines, I knew I had to do something with it. The plan was to make the nine patches with a royal center. Oops, honestly there was no plan. It just developed on the fly. I like the way it turned out.

What is fun about this quilt is each nine patch reads differently depending on the value of the fabric used. I combined Bonnie and Camille with V and Co and some good ol' Fig Tree to get a very mixed selection of scale and colors. See how the second block shown above almost disappears except for the center square.
Maggi Honeyman worked her magic on the quilting. I added a big royal polka dot for my binding to complete the "Royal Nine Patch".

Do you have moda candy ( 2 1/2" squares) or scraps of any kind? I have included the instructions to make your own version.  I can't wait to see your version.

Oh, I just had an idea for another quilt. I can call it "Royal Flush".
Enjoy,
Modalissa




Labels: , , , , ,