Quilt Roll Call- Brushed Hearts

I thought I would start a Quilt Roll Call. 
As I  take pictures of the quilts in the stack from this post, I will do a blog post about them.
This is mainly to document the quilts since I was not good about doing this in the past.
 If my feeble memory will allow, I will include any info I can about the pattern, fabric line and quilter.
This is actually one of the very few quilts that I have made using hand applique. A variety of designers had brushed cottons in their lines such a Brannock and Patek, Brackman and Thompson and more.
The quilt was made from brushed wovens that have the look of flannel but are the weight of a regular cotton. This made the applique very easy and for a rookie appliquer like myself the plaids also made the stitches disappear. The majority of the quilt was made from the scraps in the cutting room at moda. When the cap sets and made for the sale reps there are a couple of 4 1/2" strips left over. A few of us would split up the scraps, oops I mean treasures and add them to our stash. This quilt even has a few pieces of fabrics that were
 never actually put into production.
We call those BAD STRIKE OFFS.
How can a fabric be bad?
Sometimes there are just so many choices from the mill for the designer to choose from.
I am glad it is not my job to eliminate the fabrics. They seem like orphans to me. I collect them and someday will have a quilt that none of the fabric ever existed.
Is that an oxymoron? .....make a quilt from fabric that never existed?

The back of this quilt is a polka dot. I usually pick a theme for my backings for the entire year. I didn't finish this quilt top in time to use a plaid on the back. I would have needed to complete the quilt top about 2 years earlier, so it spilled over into the year of the dot backings (approx 2009-2010)

Here is a closeup of the quilting and my WONDERFUL, INVISIBLE APPLIQUE stitches.
I think my eyes were much younger then.

Hope you enjoyed Quilt 1 of the Roll Call.

Labels: