Holiday Tradition

Welcome to another day of Mistletoe Make and Bake.
Have you made any of the wonderful recipes yet?
Today's designers are
Roseann Kermes of Rosebud's Cottage
Brenda Riddle of Acorn Quilt Company

Today's topic is.....
Holiday Tradition that has to be done no matter what!
When I was married and celebrated my first Christmas as a "grown-up!", my tree was very bare. I grew up with a mother that loves to decorate. If you stood still very long, she would wrap garland around you and add bows. So I had a hard time with my version of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. My mom shared with me many of her ornaments as I made our holiday traditions our own.
I have always remembered stripping my mom's tree of the decades of ornaments. She would have it no other way. I am a bit more selfish than my mother was. I want to keep my ornaments, so a new tradtion begins.......
Everything Thanksgiving  each of the kids recieve a new Christmas ornament with their initials and date on it. Once the tree is set up, they add their ornament to the tree.
As the kids grow up and set up their own homes, they will have their own ornaments to display on their tree. These items are much more than a trinket to hang on a tree limb. The ornaments are full of memories that reflect what each of the kids were "into" that year.
Possibly a Texas Ranger World Series ornament for Grant and Bo this year?
I am known to keep alot of "stuff." You know those things you accumilate in everyday life, such as
KEYCHAINS
ID cards
(travis is 21 now. I don't think I could use this Id card to identify him now)
PICTURES
playing ball on the field of dreams!
GOLF BAG TAGS
 
SPORT PINS and more..

Some years I even get ornaments.
 the year we were married

an ornament to celebrate the birth of each of the kids 
Gary and I trade ornaments. I get whatever comes with a "meal",
but I love them just the same. 
 When the boys collected baseball cards, they gave me a "Head Coach" baseball card.
What do you do with all your treasures? If I can put a hook on it, it becomes an ornament.
I get to enjoy these and many more memories just like me mom did with me.
EACH year we all watch Charlie Brown's Christmas together. I no longer worry that my
tree looks like poor ol' Charlie Brown's.

RECIPE
Each market we have these delicious ginger cookies from World Market.
My recipe for today is for a yummy dip to go along with these cookies.
CLICK HERE for a printable version.


Labels: ,